Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Dr.Rory's sing-a-long blog,and some of our weirdo recipes

A quick little fun (well,hopefully) blog post
...I will try to write lively in fun while enduring the screams of a way overtired frustrated Rory up at dawn. ..

-ANYWAY , have you seen Dr.Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog ?? You should!
If you are a fan you will like this:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(forgive the edit and quality- two vids mashed together- sound from the 1st. She found a tiny bit dirt on her foot and got distracted in the 1st- and the second one the webcam messed up.-)

You have to love the way she emotes, so much drama.Always.


Soooo, recipes:

Protein bars- or Lactation bars-


I modified this recipe from a few different rawfoody dehydrator oatmeal rasin cookies I found. When I made the little oatmeal raisin cookies my very first thought was "these are protein bars"
Now, I suck at recipes. I don't write them down, the only ones that I go exactly by the book on are other peoples tried and true recipes that I follow to the letter, with something like this, I just add ,and adjust until I think "about right" to my own preference..
The 1st batch of protein bars turned out awesome, I tweaked this recipe a lot to make it more of a lactation bar for Lissy,and it STILL worked awesome.


You need:
  • 2 cups ground oat(I used 1 for the 1st recipe I wanted to amp this one up and make a bigger batch.)
  • 1 cup or so ground sunflowers.
  • 1 cup of ground flax(I used much less of that last time too- but again amped up for this batch for the breast milk omega flax benefit)
  • 1 cup or so applesauce,- I start with little less than half cup and add as needed for moisture
  • 4 tb peanut butter (- I know a lot of people do not do PB during lactation for allergy reasons, but I am pretty sure Lissy is- and did through pregnancy. Feel free to omit that completely, maybe add a little oil just for more moisture- it also isn't raw if you were going for that.- really there are plenty of ways I have found to play with this recipe so have at it :) )
  • sweeten with a couple tablespoons of honey or maple syrup as desired. I toned down the sweet on this, I with all the sauce and PB,but I used a little of BOTH syrup and honey.
  • For the spices/flavoring in THIS batch I went for a spice cake type thing- because I wanted to use this curry spice because it is chockfull of fenugreek(another lactation aid)-so, some curry spice,cinnamon,vanilla extract, and pinch of salt- , to taste. I really wanted brewers yeast to add for lactation benefits but couldn't find any locally.

Toss it in the mixer until you get a pasty dough- not tooo wet.

and form into bars, or cookies. That is the hardest part, won't lie.

-note-make them thicker they hold up better.

I put mine in my superswell dehydrator on a little above low (125 for a little while and then turn a little under ) , on a nonstick sheet, until they get right.

..but if you don't have one I am sure you could use your oven not to high checking often.

Texture is up to you and how long you cook them. I've read you can leave them(well,the similar rawcookie recipes ) on a bit higher temp for a long time and they will get crisper- I prefer chewy bars. So, I do them until they are solid but flexible. I flip them at some point, and when they seem close- I take them off the nonstick sheet and move them to the dehydrator sheet thing.
Until they look like this... and the middle feels firm.

I dipped half of this batch in melted semisweet chocolate chips....(yeah, sooo not a raw recipe any more)



Into the freezer on the nonstick sheet until nice and frozy..actually- I love these more frozen,So yummy with a hard chocolate bottom!
Its easy, I swear!!
I am sure many tweaks could be done- and it would be fine, the seeds and oats hold it together and then you just need some moisture, so have fun playing with it !
I think I will make them all the time... Now, to force myself away from this batch for Lissy.
Rory loves them, but I made the mistake of saying they will help Lissy lactate , so now every time I hand her one I must assure her they will not make her make milk.
Ri loves them too- AND I gave 13 yr old nephew Jade some and he loved them.. he was like "I thought you said you couldn't cook , those are pretty good."


One more recipe , before I wrap up this blog I keep procrastinating, between watching news online, and trying to help the overtired child who is pulling out all the stops to stay awake.

A few months ago I said this in another blog post:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...For dinner Ri made those Setain hot wings again.

he modifies this ribz recipe



They were sooo good, with some HVRanch dip. We had corn on the cob and mashed potatoes with them. He also made some with no hot sauce for Rory, She LOVED them(and her whole dinner,
they were almost like chik'n nuggets-which Ri is talking about making next with some breading! Mmmmm. They are really good, and MUCH MUCH cheaper than boxed faux chic'n stuff.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We made the yummy little faux vegan hot wings again the other night , and I thought I should really post our mods to the vegan ribz recipe



Seitan Hot wingz-
  • 1 cup vital wheat gluten
  • 2 t. onion powder
  • 1 t. garlic powder
  • 1 cup water or vegetable stock
  • 2 tb tahini , or Peanut butter, or other nut butter- (another recipe we found called for it so we decided to stick with it, if only for the added protein)
  • oil,- (we use olive recipe calls for safflower , but who has that?) for oiling pan
then we pretty much follow the same prep:
"In a medium bowl, place the vital wheat gluten, , onion powder, and garlic powder, and stir well to combine. Using your hands, mix the water, and nut butter, into the dry ingredients, and work into a soft dough that will feel very moist to the touch. Using a little oil, lightly oil (or lightly mist) a 9-inch square baking pan. Transfer the dough to the prepared pan, and using your hands, flatten the dough to evenly cover the bottom of the pan. "
-except we usually just cut it until after its out, sometimes we just tear it apart into nuggety sizes.
"Bake the seitan for 20 minutes at 350 degrees."

..and obviously, instead of bbq sauce Ri melts butter(or margerine) in with honey and hot sauce, for us but not Rory.
and makes ranch dressing( well, a Hidden valley ranch packet with light , or vegan sour cream- OR just a store bought jar of the good stuff from the produce section :) ) .

I know, most my readers aren't veg, so they may not care-- but these are awesome. Great texture, and hey no bones ! YUM.


Anyway, that's all I got for today, Rory is still awake ,and here comes the sun- and noisy spring birds.
Spent most the day(yesterday, sigh) cleaning and lazing, didn't get to go to Lissy's :( but we will Thursday.

Oh, and my entire house smells INSANELY strongly of orange blossoms - yay spring!

---OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH yeah,
I wanted to add if you came here by googling for info on "Heleigh Cummings"- You spelled her name wrong and so did I. The local missing 5 yr olds name is Haleigh Cummings..
You can find info soon on this website

http://haleighbug.com/

and here or any other news site .


PEACE AND TOFU CHICkEN GREASE,
BABYHELLFIRE

No comments: