Sunday, September 28, 2008

Goodbye Summer!--beach, sick and cupcakes

Goodbye summer!
...well, for the moment.I mean come on, as if Florida has actual seasons!

It DID get so cool I spent a day with the A/C turned off... but it came back on before bedtime, I can't sleep in the heat. A 70 degree breeeze one day ,100 degrees the next. That'll make you insta sick...
not to worry though,we already have the sick. UGH.

Rory gave it to me( I guess she got it from Ben)
- I gave it to Ri,
so,he ended up switching his off days so he could stay home sick Friday evening, and all of Saturday.
He wanted to go swimming in a pool friday,but I didn't want to further pass our ICk.
We stayed in mopey and yucky. I made some yummy soul food for dinner. collard greens,sweet taters,beans and rice- I am such a southern Florida girl it didn't hit me I had made soul food, until Ri was like "I need hot sauce with this".We ended up crashing pretty early. In fact, as much as I thought the sinus nasty we have had messed up our sleep, I think it FIXED IT! Woooo


So , we decided to go to the beach Saturday. Lissy wrote me on myspace hopeing to stop in with mom... I told her she could try to catch us before we left,
but, we had the sick it was probably best that her preggy self didn't come around.

On the ride to the beach,and quite frequently though out the last few days-my mind has been in an odd place.I dunno what that means,just having trouble in my head. mmm, hope it isn't a bad omen.

-anyway-We drove for a LONG time trying to find a spot on the beach in Flagler...but we found one before we made it into crescent beach.lol

It was a little chilly but not bad at all.
I think Rory really could play on the beach ALL DAY!






The waves were very forcefull ,and NASTY.We didn't stay long, but we had a good time.The salt air/water was probably good for our ick.
We stopped in a grocery to get some basics we were out of,bribed the child with far from vegetarian marshmallows and headed home.
We came home to a sicky care package on our step,from Mom and my sis- cane sugar soda, cough drops,green tea, and gauva nectar.Awww.thanx mommy ... I had to find a use for that guava nectar.

Ri made loads of yummy pizza- filling our fridge with leftovers,even made two little personal pan ones for Rory- shaped them like Mickey mouse ,and she grubbed out!!She was absolutly tickled he made pizza for dinner, don't tell her its wheat crust and topped with veggies LOL.

Poor Ri had to drag his sickness back to work today,at least he was able to sleep- he never woke with the "must prop myself up to avoid suffocation" feeling me and Rory dealt with a few nights.
Today, Rory destroyed the house and jammed out to Pandora radio while I played in the kitchen with food ,and dirty dishes.
She seemed overtired most the day,irritatingly fussy. She finally crashed,though.Poor thing.

Ri is making ratatouille again for dinner. :)




-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thought about giving this its own post- but am lazy and this will be my goodbye summer blog.




"Goodbye summer" Guava nectar vegan cupcakes


-inspired by the orange cream vegan cupcake recipe I have found floating all over the net from the book :
Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World-
(which I may now need pick up).

For the Guava Cream Filling/Topping:

  • 1/4 cup calcium-enriched plain soy milk
  • 1/2 cup guava nectar
  • 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
  • 3 Tbsp. white sugar( I cut the sugar WAY back because of all the sugar in the nectar)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

For the Cupcakes:

  • 1/3 cup veg or canola oil
  • 1/3 white sugar(again way less sugar- the actual recipe calls for half a cup or more)
  • 3/4 cup calcium-enriched soy milk
  • 1/2 cup guava nectar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1-1/3 cups white whole wheat flour(I mixed half wheat, with half unbleached white flour-I do for most baked goods)
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt

Make the pudding first.

Place soy milk, guava nectar, cornstarch, sugar, and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk together until mixture starts to boil. Turn heat down to low and stir continuously until mixture thickens.(happens fast) Once it reaches the consistency of a pudding, remove from heat. Transfer to a glass bowl and let cool completely...trying not to eat it all, Once cool, move to the refrigerator for an hour.

Now make the cupcakes:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a muffin tin with nonstick spray or line with cupcake liners. Whisk together the oil, sugar, milk, guava nectar and vanilla with 1 tablespoon of the flour. Sift together the remaining flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, one third at a time, stirring until the batter is smooth after each addition.

Fill cupcake liners two-thirds full. Bake 20-22 minutes until the top springs back when pressed lightly. Remove cupcakes from muffin tin. Cool completely.

Take orange pudding out of refrigerator - the recipes I found recommended a make shift ziplock pastry bag. I just stirred and used a spoon- Make an indentation in the center of each cupcake with the handle of a wooden spoon (or your finger). Fill generously with guava pudding.

The orange cream recipe also had a simple chocolate gonash topping, would be good on orange- unnecessary ,and probably not as good on guava.
------
Rory was not a fan of the guava pudding topping(or the yummy plain gauva nectar),she had two plain guava cakes without though and liked it. :)

Alright, that's all for me tonight peeps.


PEACE AND TOFU CHICKEN GREASE,
BABYHELLFIRE

2 comments:

North Carolina Mom said...

I love seeing Rory all over the beach, she is such a natural part of the ocean and beach to me because I never see the beach except in pictures on your blog! I would love for my kids to grow up on the beach like that, how awesome!

tata said...

As usual, great pictures. The cookies look yummo. Hope y'all are feelin' better by now!